Having missing teeth can be a traumatic experience for many. A missing tooth can transform your facial aesthetics and significantly impact your self-esteem and confidence. Leaving the gap left by missing teeth untreated can also lead to drifting adjacent teeth. It can also impact our chewing, speaking, and eating abilities. Finding a tooth replacement is the only way to restore the functionality of the teeth. Even though various tooth restoration options, such as dental bridges, dentures, and crowns, are available, dental implants are the most popular among all.
What are dental implants?
A dental implant is a prosthetic replacement for a missing tooth. Implants can be used for replacing not only a single tooth but also several adjacent teeth and a row of missing teeth in a jaw. In the implant process, an artificial tooth root is inserted into the jaw bone, and a dental crown will be anchored above the implant to replace the area of missing teeth. The amount of bone available plays an important role in deciding the number of implants that can be placed.
Why are they a popular option for teeth replacement?
- With implants, patients can experience predictable outcomes such as restoring the functionality of the teeth, retrieving the chewing ability and speech ability, and improving the overall facial aesthetics. Furthermore, it gives patients the confidence to smile and engage in social activities.
- Implants also protect the remaining healthy bone after a tooth extraction procedure is completed.
- It preserves the adjacent teeth since tooth preparation is not required for dental implants.
- It is also resistant to cavities since implants do not decay, similar to natural teeth.
What is the best time for dental implants?
You need to consult a dentist providing dental implant services to know whether you are eligible for dental implants or not. Still, you may be a good candidate for dental implants if you have one or more missing teeth. If you presently have a dental bridge needing replacement, you could be eligible for dental implants. If you currently have dentures slipping too often, it may be the best time for dental implants. Furthermore, dental implants are an ideal replacement for your missing teeth if you are experiencing bite problems or pain due to a missing tooth.
What are the benefits of dental implants?
- Dental implants resemble, feel and function like a natural tooth.
- If maintained properly, dental implants can prove to be long-lasting and reliable.
- Dental implants that are properly taken care of have high success rates compared to other conventional forms of tooth restoration options. Implants can be successful, especially for people in good health.
- The implants are anchored in the jawbone, similar to your natural teeth. Concerning time, implants will be able to preserve the jawbone and thus significantly minimizing bone resorption. You can also eat the food of your choice and can speak clearly with dental implants.
- There is no need to prepare the adjacent teeth similar to what is being done in other tooth restoration options. Thus the adjacent teeth are preserved with the help of dental implants.
- Implants are a permanent tooth restoration option as opposed to a removable prosthesis.
- Dental implants are cost-effective.
- Dental implants increase the confidence and self-esteem of the person who has suffered from low self-esteem due to missing teeth earlier.
What are the do’s and don’t after dental implants?
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day and floss once after meals.
- Make use of a soft-bristled toothbrush specifically designed for cleaning the implant teeth.
- Make use of unwaxed floss to reduce the possibility of gingivitis and bleeding.
- Do not eat sugary snacks, which may result in the formation of plaque.
- Ensure that fruits and vegetables are sliced into smaller pieces before beginning to eat so that the strength of the implanted teeth can be protected.
- Schedule regular dental visits for detailed examination and cleanings.
- You should not suck through straws right after surgery.
- Avoid smoking since it can cause various types of dental problems.
- Do not open packs, cans, or bottles using the implant teeth.
- Avoid hard or crunchy foods immediately after the completion of surgery.
- Avoid sugary, sticky, and gummy foods.
Dental implants not only replace your missing teeth but also restores the functionality of your teeth. It helps you to smile confidently, chew smoothly, and speak properly.